Lights Out!!

       I looked at the pile of files laying in front of me and sighed. It had been a tiring day. The project we had been working on was nearing the deadline and there was still so much work to be done! Especially I was lagging behind, as I had taken leave for the past two days because of some unavoidable reasons. So that day I stayed back till late, for I had to somehow complete my task. I didn't like lagging behind. I was so much involved in coding that I forgot to look at the time. It was only once I finished my work did I realize that I was all alone and it was nearing midnight! I wondered how worried mom would have been if she was staying with me. But since I was staying in PG, there was no one who cared at what time I came back or even if I come back! As long as the monthly rent was paid on time, they wouldn't bother interfering in your personal life. Phew! I missed home.

       I finished filing my work and got ready to leave. That's when I felt for the first time, that someone else other than me was present there. I turned around and searched but I saw none. May be the tiredness was making me imagine things! I reached the lift and just when I was about to leave, the lights went off! I panicked at once! Then I tried to calm down and think of something. Cell phone! I reached for my cell phone and tried to switch on the light but it was dead! The battery had given up right at the crucial moment! Now I had no source of light or way to contact someone.

image source: google images
       There was still the office land line but these technology has occupied such a prominent place in our life that I didn't know any number. I was the slave of my phone, without which most of my works wouldn't be done! I was freaking out totally. I had to find a way to get out of here before something happens. Just at that moment, I heard a movement in the dark. "Who is there?" I shouted. No answer. Obviously if someone was sneaking up on me, its not likely that they will answer such questions. When I was turning frantically in the dark, I felt someone pass close to me. And I started shrieking! I gathered all the pent up energy inside me and yelled at the top of my voice. I knew that no one from outside could hear it; I was on 8th floor but at times like this, our mind can't rationalize. A small hope that someone would hear me was making me yell like crazy; and hear did someone!

       I felt a hand close my mouth and I could no longer shout! Oh no! The only weapon I had was taken away from me. I was getting all kind of bad thoughts and the fear inside me was growing in magnitude  with each passing second. I wanted to escape from the clutches of this man but the person was obviously stronger than me and no amount of wriggling helped me. So after a minute I gave up and just when he eased his grip a little thinking I had stopped fighting, I kicked back and I guess it hit his knees. Since I was wearing pointed heels, it had caused huge pain and the person shouted in pain. "Damn you Idiot!" I stopped in my tracks. It was a voice I recognized well. I slowly moved forward in the dark by feeling the desks till I reached the wall and switched on the lights. I saw the person and gasped!

       There lying on the floor, holding his knee and withering in pain was my best friend! He was cursing the person who invented high heels. I couldn't understand what was going on! Seeing my puzzled expression, he managed to stand up slightly with the help of the chair next to him and said "Happy birthday" and groaned! I stood there shocked for a minute and then burst out laughing. I was hysterical! "Seriously girl, I was planning some surprise for you and see what you gave me in return" he said still holding his knees "And look at you laughing!" He was obviously irritated. When I finally managed to get out of the hysteria, I said "Well now you know better than to just sneak up on a girl like this again" Needless to say, the celebrations continued once the initial shock wore off.

PS: This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda and Ultimate Blog Challenge April 2014.

             


Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

Labels: , ,