Sunday 27 April 2014

Headlines

       I was up early today and since I didn't have classes to attend, I decided to pass time reading news paper in the morning. I usually don't do this but I badly needed a distraction today. So I decided to read it anyhow. And the headlines read:

"The famous actress Zeba Khan gave birth to baby boy last night and both mother and child are safe. Her husband Farooq Khan thanks fans for their blessings. The whole nation is celebrating this news jovially"

       I was confused for a while. What was there about this news that made it to the headlines? A woman has given birth to baby. That happens every second in our country owing to its population! Then why make a big fuss about it? There were so many other issues facing our country, but ironically, the media chose this to make as the headlines!

       And sure enough, people were going gaga over the news. They went to temples and offered thanks to God. They celebrated as if the country had won some war! Every paper, every channel had it as the headlines. There were huge sighs of disappointment when the celebrity couple refused the allow the medias to take a picture of the baby!

       Its funny how fandom can make people react! All the important issues takes back seat when things like this happen. So much commotion over something so trivial. I was lost in thoughts about this whole thing when my friend called me. "Hey are you coming for the party?" I was confused. Was I missing something? I tried to remember if today's date signified any important event but I couldn't recall anything. "What's the occasion?" I asked. 

       "Arey! Our Mona is throwing a party for the whole class as her favorite celebrity and her child are safe. She is all excited" What!! I couldn't believe it! "Is she stupid?" I asked. "Well does it matter? As long as the party is good, I don't mind it" I smiled hearing her reply. She was right. I got back to my work instead of wasting time, because now I had a party to attend!! After all we had been so busy over the past few days and party sounded like a welcome break.

PS: This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda and Ultimate Blog Challenge April 2014.



Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

16 comments:

  1. Hi Swathi! I agree with you. Sometimes celebrities news "blinds" people to see what's happing with the rest of the world. I was annoyed this week when I saw on the BBC that the "Breaking News" was the manager (or whatever he was) being sacked from the team. Pity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Daniela! You are right. I feel too that more important issues are to be addressed first! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  2. just made me think about om shanthi om :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonder what is d connection between the two :P

      Delete
  3. I totally agree. This is so well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes.. Sometimes celeb's news r bit overboarded n dis is nt om shanti om sachin :P its flightless bird and thoughtful wings :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support saddy ;) :D Sachz arasso? Its nt om shanti om :P

      Delete
    2. :D i feel ders a connection though :p

      Delete
  5. film stars are one we love as they portray our dreams and aspirations on silver screen there is no wrong in being happy for one we love and anyways media never highlights the real problems as they don't give TRP.

    Headline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad to be happy for them but worshipping them is something I don't understand!!

      Delete
  6. The whole India is obsessed with movie, tv, and cricket. Don't worry. As long as someone is giving the party, go there and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. exactly the fandom makes the people turn a blind eye to everything else..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hope you have heard about term called TRP :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliantly woven and crisp narrated where you beautifully wrote bout the craze for celebs that sell like hot gulab jamun.
    http://vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com/2014/04/wow-headlineswhen-pappu-grabbed.html

    Btw, its me
    vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)