Phubbing!

       I was at my friend's home and we were having a chat over snacks. Shortly her mom joined us and we started talking about how college life is. We were thoroughly enjoying the conversation. Suddenly my friend received a text on her cell phone and after that it was like only me and her mom talking. She had completely dropped out of the conversation, just inserting some hmmms and ohs in the middle, without even paying attention to what we were talking! At some point, I got irritated and asked her "Who is it that you can’t wait to chat with till later? Is it your boyfriend?" And to my surprise she said hmmm. There was sudden silence in the room, I was looking at her mom, who was looking at my friend, and my friend was happily busy texting with a goofy smile on her face, totally clueless to the change in her surroundings. After sometime, she did lift her head and seeing our faces, she asked "What?" without realizing what she had said minutes ago. Of course it was a LOL moment for us; though it took weeks before her mom stopped suspecting her and watching her over like a hawk. This is an incident that depicts Phubbing.

       Online dictionary defines Phubbing as an act of snubbing people in a social setting by looking at your phone instead of paying attention. This act has become very common these days, what with everyone becoming the devotees of their cell phone. It is not just about texting; it can be anything like playing games (candy crush is in vogue of lately), checking mails, watching videos or just surfing the web. Most of the time, this Phubbing act can get very annoying!



       It's not that I don't indulge in this! I do. I am a normal human being after all! But with me, it’s not texting. I hate texting. Yes, you read it right. I am the kind of person who will call up someone if I have anything to ask rather than wasting hour’s texting. I hate texting, point straight! But it is blogging that I use my cell for. I keep reading and commenting on blogs when I have free time. It annoys whoever is with me as they think I am ignoring them! And let me tell you, I have been chastised for this act a lot by my mom and friends.

       This is what happens usually in Phubbing. Though we can't give up our cell phones totally, we can try and pay attention when someone is trying to strike a conversation instead of snubbing them off by looking at cell. It will help maintain relationships. Else while we keep trying to make friendship with people on the virtual world, the real ones will keep on weakening! So here are some little tips that we all can use 



       The list of do's and dont's can go on! But let me stop here. Do you have anything to add? Or perhaps an incident to share?


PS: Linking this post to the Ultimate Blog Challenge July 2014 and NaBloPoMo.



Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

Labels: , , , , ,