Wednesday 30 July 2014

If I Weren't Afraid!

       Today I came across a Blog Carnival on Write Tribe - Do Your Fears Hold You Back? It instantly piqued my interest. Each one of us have something or other that we fear. These fears rule us more than our strengths do! It's never easy to talk about our fears but here is a small attempt. What would I do if my fears weren't holding me back?

       The first thing I will do is pick up a microphone and sing my heart out. My mom always had this dream that I would be a singer someday. But I never really was able to fulfill her dream. Though people don't dislike my voice or throw eggs when I step on the stage (In fact I get compliments that I have a very melodious voice), I get nervous as soon as I face the crowd and blank out! It's very humiliating. I wish I could overcome that fear. If I do, the first thing I will do is go give an audition for some big singing competition and fulfill my mom's dream.

       This same fear of crowd holds me back from speaking up my mind. There will be so many things running inside my mind. But I can never speak them up. I hide behind my writing skills. What will others say? What if I am wrong? What if they laugh? Fears like this always hold me back. I wish I could put such fears behind me and move on with life. It will be awesome to feel confident and speak up my mind. Maybe gathering courage to answer questions or speak about an idea that I am too afraid to say otherwise. Maybe even say someone how much I love them or do something that my heart always wanted to! All these things are possible only if I can shed that fear of rejection and the fear of being mocked at!


       Wouldn't it be awesome if we can overcome our fears and lead a confident life? I am working hard on leaving behind these fears and start afresh. I know it is not easy but one step at a time and I believe that I will gradually reach my destination. What are your fears? Are you working on overcoming them?

PS: Linking this post to the Ultimate Blog Challenge July 2014 and NaBloPoMo.




Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

20 comments:

  1. Some people would claim that you are courageous because you write, putting your heart into words and online! Which shows that our fears are unique to each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Swathi! Yes, it absolutely would be awesome if we could all release those fears!! I love singing, too, but also had fears of audience rejection. So I never became a singer but I did get into karaoke and managed to enjoy that very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swathi, Well said!

    Fears if identified and then suppressed will make our life so much easy!
    Loved your take!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sometimes fear can be a good thing as it pushes us to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guts and hope will help you overcome your fears. Great post. Hope you keep singing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is victory after we overcome fears :)
    Nicely shared. I can identify with this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I too have the fear of speaking in a crowd. In fact, very much. Same here. I too speak out my mind, in my writings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey swathi :)
    I so much relate to this post, like I relate 2 each word of it. Its sad that most often its our fears that govern us while our free will is trashed in some corner. Someday u shall get over all ur fears and shine bright:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved what you have written..
    I should pen down my thoughts too.. :D
    for without fear - I would love to do so many many things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've written almost all that I wrote about and much more fearlessly :-) I share all your fears here and hope that one day I'll conquer all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doing the right thing you fear most is the only way to overcome the fear.Confront it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Swathi, it would be a perfect world if we could overcome all our fears and remain confident always. But the existence of fears is what creates a balance and gives us an opportunity to identify ourselves. Nice post and aptly written. Even I feared public speaking (I would run away if I had to sing :D) but once I spoke for a few gatherings, it made me realize - this isn't too bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fear the dark but I am slowly overcoming it. From sleeping with the lights on to sleeping with the bathroom light on is where I am currently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was pushed on to the stage in college once because I was the understudy and the main actress fell ill at the last minute. There was no looking back after that :) I love interacting with people, singing is something I am yet to do in front of people. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good one Swathi :) Probably, you should start talking on stage about fear :D Yes! It's victory once we overcome fear..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is a fear we all share...And yes one surely feels victorious to overcome ones fears... Enjoyed reading this ... :)

    Fearless...

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great prompt no? Can get you into an introspective mood! You should head to a bar and sing karaoke, and overcome your fear of singing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sing your heart out, girl :) Go ahead, and speak up in front of that crowd which intimidates you..... Go go go ahead ! Lovely write up, Swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i share the same fear! i wish i could be more confident and do what my heart really wants!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If only we could overcome all those things holding us back. Loved your heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)