Tuesday 29 April 2014

Y for Yearning!!

       Jo sat there staring at the wall and thinking. She was all alone in her hostel room. A year back, she would have given anything to get this. She had always yearned for freedom; she wanted to lead an independent life. She had pestered her dad for a long time before she finally got him to agree upon this. On the day he agreed, her joy knew no bounds. She felt like her dreams were finally coming true. No constant supervision of parents, no need to ask permission of every little thing; it all had seemed like heaven to her.

       But now when she had got all that, she realized how wrong she was. She missed her home, the constant care of mom, the silly fights with siblings, and the home made food. It all seemed like a distant dream now. Of course she enjoyed being with friends but the love and care she received at home, that was something that no one could replace. She sighed as she thought again how wrong it was of her to think that she wouldn't miss all those moments.


       “Hey aren't you coming for dinner?” asked her friend who just came in. Jo got up reluctantly and dragged herself to the canteen wishing she could just go back home and have food from her mom's hands.

image source: inspirably.com

PS: Linking this post to the A-Z Challenge and Ultimate Blog Challenge April 2014.





Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

14 comments:

  1. Exactly my feelings!! just that I never wanted to be in hostel in the first place! But apart from constant homesickness it brings, it is an experience every one should have once in a lifetime!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your post reminds me of college and how homesick I was when I first got there, freshman year! Great writing because I can really feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homesickness is something I think many people can relate to. You captured that beautifully here.

    -L.G. Keltner, minion in Captain Alex's Ninja Army
    http://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/
    http://warpednerdiversity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homesickness... The price of getting out on one's own.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  5. and when she goes back home..after 3 days, she begins to yearn for the privacy of her hostel and the company of her friends. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never went to a hostel. No regrets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. one year after I went home for vacations during my engg days I couldn't digest the good food becaise I was used to the horrible ones from the canteen.. Sigh..

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/04/yours-tastefully/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to honest and show how 'backwoods' I am. I had to look up Hostel. Enjoyed your writing and I can relate to missing mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good blog, I love home cooked food too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all have something we yearn for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haaaa.... Athos.... I yearn for hostel food :P :D Yeah, I will tell u about it sometime when we chat! :)

    ~S(t)ri Writes

    ReplyDelete
  12. hostel food make me yearn for home food drastically .. now i never ever tell my mom once "mummy khana aacha nai lag raha hai" :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah ! The homesickness and the home food :) we yearn for it. Totally agreed !!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)