Monday 26 May 2014

My Role Model


       I often hear in news about female foeticide and abandoning of the new born baby if it turns out to be a girl! There still are many places in India where this act happens but thankfully I live in a slightly developed town where these things occur less. Even so, I have been told that when I was born, there was certain disappointment among some people; they were expecting a boy, who would take ahead the glory of family to new heights. As if a girl couldn't do it!


      And there even were some people who pitied and blamed my maternal grandfather for his luck! He had 4 daughters and no son and I have heard my mom telling me stories of her childhood; how they were bullied by their cousins and how people would look down on him and pity him. Some even said that he might have committed some sin in his previous birth for which he was being punished now! Nonsense!! But he never paid heed to them; not then and certainly not now! He was happy and indeed counted us as blessings.


       I was his first and only granddaughter, the rest being grandsons; so I obviously was pampered a lot. I remember awaiting summer holidays so that I could visit him. He has inspired me in several ways ever since then. He is a man of divine patience and he believes in finding good in everything and everyone. He had a provision store until few years back and that was pretty famous in the whole town. He is respected by everyone and I feel proud saying I am his granddaughter. From narrating stories to me amidst his busy schedule to teaching me coping up with different situations, he did it all.


       I clearly remember an incident from my childhood. When I had been to Bhadravati (his place), I badly wanted to buy a sweet from the shop in front of our home. But I was sure that would earn me a little lecture about how that shop is not good and how he would get me something good later! No, I didn't want something good but I wanted the same thing I was eyeing, the white sweet which promised delight! So I slowly sneaked into my grandpa’s shop and took a rupee from the cash counter slowly. Right then he turned! I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw his eyes narrowing; there were a lot of people and I was becoming red in face thinking of the scene that would continue. But within a fraction of second, the smile returned and I was let go. I had rejoiced that I was successful in fooling him but I was wrong. Later that night I was chided for stealth. He had seen it but he had let me go for he didn't want to put me to shame in front of everyone.


       That day I had learnt the biggest lesson of my life – "If you are praising someone, then do it in front of everyone and if you have to scold someone, make sure you do it alone!" I have seen so many people shouting at others but my grandpa was a man of patience. And more over, just a disapproving from him look was enough to make you realize your mistake; there was no need for him to raise his voice. Whenever I visited him, I used to sit in his shop all the time, so I got a pretty good chance of knowing him. People used to call him ‘Anna’ (meaning brother) fondly. They loved talking to him and he always used to give chocolates to their kids. Oh they adored him!  I had seen him giving away goods to some people on credits and when I voiced my thoughts about how it’s a bad idea, he had said “Trusting is my choice. Proving me right or wrong is in their hands. Moreover, what goes around comes around. If you were meant to lose something, you will lose it anyhow”


       Now that all his daughters are married, he and my grandmother stay by themselves. I often see my mom worrying about it and I am worried too but he just brushes off any pleas of coming down to stay with us saying it isn't a big deal! Even at the age of 75, he gets up early at 4, does yoga, walks for 6 kms, completes daily chores at home and then runs his shop! Yes, he runs a steel shop on his own. He never sits idle; he says sitting idle is the only thing he hates! We even at this young age complain about work load being too much or days going bad but seeing him, I feel inspired. He always is enthusiastic when it comes to learning new things and never thinks twice before helping some one in need. 


       He was there for me all along; right from my first cycle to my first mobile, he was the one bought them for me and the one who shared my joys. Some people give you free advice for every problem of yours without even knowing half of the things but he is a man of knowledge and he practices what he preaches. Whenever I used to complain about the unfairness of life when something bad happened, he used to assure me everything had a purpose and good and bad are indeed two faces of a coin! So many of my life’s lessons I have learnt from him and I still continue to look up to him whenever I need guidance. He truly is a role model for me. His patience, his ease with which he handles things and the kindness are something which I wish I can learn.

       I so wanted to take a selfie for this activity but couldn't as we live in different places! Still I didn't want to miss adding his photo here.

My lovely grandfather - Sheshgiri Bhat
PS: I am writing about #MyRoleModel as a part of the activity by Gillette India in association with BlogAdda.com.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)


28 comments:

  1. That is an excellent tribute to a man of really good nature man and right values.Gone are the days when to be blessed with son was regarded as an asset.People these days cherish daughters for their affection..Nice of him to have showered his affection on you.
    I had visited Bhadravathi many times to the steel plant.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True KP :) But there are still a few, who think otherwise about daughters! But I am glad, he didn't feel so :)
      Am sure you would have loved your visit to the quiet little place :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Well first of all you're lucky! I've never had grandpa around :(
    Never had someone elder in the family to guide me too. Well that's a beautiful thing to be disciplined and to be active. Truly a role model in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so sorry to hear that Sabeeha!
      But I am sure he does look over you and bless you :)

      Delete
  3. Made me miss my maternal grandpa! I lost him last year. Lovely post, Swathi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpas are truly awesome!!!
    I share a bitter sweet relationship with him, but I miss him when he is not around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share a bitter sweet relationship with my paternal grand pa too! So I can understand what you mean

      Delete
  5. That was touching, it reminded me of my GrandDad who is now no more with us. He used to fulfill my every wish when I used to visit him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear that Nibhz :(
      Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  6. lovely post .. great to know some bonding !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandpa is an angel. Please convey my regards to him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a heart-felt writeup about your grandpa. You are lucky to have him around. I am reminded of my nanaji as I read this...he too was such a gentle soul, patient and almost godlike. Well done, Swathi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your nanaji sounds like he was a wonderful person Beloo :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  9. I've never seen my maternal grandpa ( he passed away when my mom was 6 years old), but I was fortunate to have my paternal grandpa with us for 26 years of my life. The lessons I've learnt from him are precious ! You just reminded me of him.
    Special appreciation to you, for having shared this piece of your life here:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sreeja :)
      Lessons learnt from grand parents are precious right? You were luck indeed to have your paternal grandpa around, who loved you :)

      Delete
  10. WOW... this brought memories .. sadly both my grandpa's have passed away and they were both my role modles .. my Dadu was a city guy , high official who had people running around him and coule get anything down with the snap of this fingers .. and my nanu was entirely opposite very simple a farmer

    I am what I am because of all the love and affection showered upon me by them both

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That was such a contrast between both! I am sure you got to learn a lot about 2 different worlds from them :) Grand parents really mould our lives a lot, isn't it?
      Thanks for sharing your story :) Though am sorry for your loss :(

      Delete
  11. truly amazing :) long live ur granpa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Ya long live grandpa *touchwood*

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful post Swathi and here is the post in reply for your award nomination http://www.ananyatales.com/2014/05/reader-appreciation-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ananya :)
      Glad you accepted the award :)

      Delete
  13. Truly touching :-),,,,,,,,, lucky u r to have such a adept persona in ur lyf,, ,,,,,,,,, long live grandpa,,,,,,,,,,, :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadiya :) I indeed feel lucky to have him :) Long live grand pa :)

      Delete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)