Tuesday 3 June 2014

The Power of Trying - Bits and Bytes #2

       From childhood till now, I have never took up anything seriously. I pick a hobby randomly and practice it until I either achieve something or till I fail, the latter being the majority! Once I fail, I used to give up completely, never trying to do it again. I never believed in the power of trying. I was reckless and it showed in the work I did. But there was an incident that changed my view.

       I used to go for summer camps every year and once I had been to drawing class, probably in class 5. I thoroughly enjoyed sketching. It came to me naturally and I used to bring home beautiful sketches (well as beautiful as a class 5 student could!) and my mother used to beam with pride. My sir used to praise me and I used to bask in it completely.

       Everything was fine until I was made to hold a brush and try my hand at painting. You would think I aced in it as well but no; I was terrible at it! I used to spoil every sketch as soon as I tried to paint on it. This went on and I was growing frustrated increasingly! One day I was scolded by my sir for not paying attention and that was it. I had stopped going to classes! I know it was very stupid but I hadn't understood it then! At that time, I dropped out of the camp and no matter of convincing could make me go back.

       I had completely given up sketching until class 11 where I had to draw in my Biology record. Interest grew once again and I kept on drawing even in my spare time. I joined for the same drawing class once again and started honing my skills. It felt heavenly, to do something I loved so dearly. "It's time you learn painting. Colors speak so much more than these grey sketches" said my sir. I denied till I could but finally had to give in. It was difficult and as expected, my paintings turned bad. "Try" he used to say every time my face fell.

        There was one painting I loved very much, something I had seen a girl do. I wanted to try it but I knew I couldn't do it. Sir saw the dream in my eyes and he gave me the painting and said "You have 4 days until next class. You can try if you want to. You never know what you can do until you try!" I took it home and I don't know how many papers I tore until I finally managed to do it. Here is how it turned out at last.


       It's pretty good isn't it? No, I am not boasting. You will understand it yourself if you see my first try of the same. Here it is


       That is how I learnt that giving up was easy but it did no good. If I had tried this hard all those years back, I would have probably learnt a lot by now. Well, I guess its better late than never. So next time you encounter a failure, just remember, it indeed is a small step in the way of success and as they say "Keep on trying until you succeed" :)

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

34 comments:

  1. Swathy , at the tender age a scolding is a great barrier to try further. But later you perfected your art and it has showed in the subsequent painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't back out again else we would have missed an awesome painter amongst us! I miss it myself, I wish I had tried it before giving it up! I know how wonderful it feel to hold a brush! But I'm happy that I revived my lost writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nibhz :) And well you know, its better late than never. So what are you waiting for? Go grab your brush and start painting ;)

      Delete
  3. Practice reduces the imperfections and makes for better outcome.We can never learn anything except by practice.A nice painting you have made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Practice matters a lot if we want to achieve anything. Thank you KP :)

      Delete
  4. I am no artist. But that painting is one incredible piece of work! I am glad for you that you did not give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swati, I love the paintings and also the fact that you chose to write about your unsuccessful attempts earlier. Being a painter myself , I know, the way we come across writers block while writing...same kind of blocks come up while you express through art also.
    But the lesson you learnt is valuable 'Never give up'...it only makes you stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Vinodini :) You are a painter too? Wow! Would like to see your paintings :) And you are right about the blocks.. I have experienced them a lot. But patience and practice always helps to overcome them :)

      Delete
  6. awesome!!! Even your first take on the painting is better than everything I have tried ever!
    That was pure determination that brought u here. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the painiting has come out brilliantly. Swati, thanks for sdharing your story. I guess we all must learn "never to give up". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True kajal, we must learn it :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, this post was really inspirational! Never ever give up on anything!

    The painting looks beautiful and what matters is that you tried, before anything else.

    Keep on trying and try to be the spider of King Bruce! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spider of King Bruce is something that has inspired me too ;)
      Thank you so much Soumya :)

      Delete
  9. Swathi,have a look at Padmaja's blog
    http://padmajamadhu.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for sharing the link KP :) I just loved her blog :)

      Delete
  10. You are not only a great writer but also a skillful painter.. follow your passion.. And the last line is the most powerful one.. liked this article!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Swathi, KP gave me the link to your blog, so glad I visited here today! The final result is looking beautiful! Life is all about trials and errors that pave way for learning to lead a constructive and fruitful life, keep the passion going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Padmaja :) Coming from you, the compliment means a lot as you are one awesome artist yourself :)

      Delete
  12. Rightly said Swathi. You never know what you can do if you try. Good to see that you didn't give up. And I loved the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first attempt is not bad enough, either. :) Your story is inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. if this is first attempt painting then u are really good at it !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit here. You are an awesome painter in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally understand .. you see i beleive that in the world there are more who have failed then those who succeeded .. in a race out of 8 athletes only one wins.. 7 fail .. that is a huge percentage ..

    but then those 7 work hard to try to win again ..

    that painting looks very good nad even the first Try looks lovely to me .. because there are millions who cant even do that ..

    and I am glad you did not give up and continued ...

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice comparison; the story of athletes :)
      Thanks a lot Bikram :) Yes, I am glad too that I didn't give up :) And the credits goes to my teacher who believed in me :)

      Delete
  17. Good one, Swathi....the painting, and the way you've spoken about it with honesty !

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)