Saturday 17 May 2014

Password - WOW #10

       I was in 10th standard when I had created my first ever email ID! I know its pretty late comparing how even kids have mail IDs now-a-days and several for that matter! I didn't have net connection at home at that time and I had never visited to cyber till date except for getting print outs of information for school projects.And also I had never felt the need of having one!

       It was the time of summer holidays and I had joined for a computer course, more out of boredom rather than out of interest! The only thing I was interested was creating my own account which was the last part of a month long course! It seems silly now remembering how I was all worked up over something so trivial! So the day finally arrived and I was allowed to access net and create my own ID!

      I clearly remember how exciting it was! I had the feeling of being all grown up. It felt like I was doing something of high importance. Then started the problem. What would be the password? I had no idea what or how I should choose it. The instructor who was watching like a hawk suggested something but I was skeptical. Isn't password meant to be secret? Why should he know it! 

       The first possibility that occurred to me was my name. Nah! That would be too easy for anyone to guess. So I brushed it off. My birth date? Well not that either! Mom's name? Dad's name? Place of birth? But those were all easy to guess and I had seen how in movies these were the first tries you go for when you want to hack into someone else's account! So I had to think of something only I knew! Then I remembered my list of favorites. But this list is something that never stays constant. It keeps on changing. What if I forgot my password! I certainly didn't want that to happen.

       That day I had come back without creating any account. I thought and thought whole evening but there wasn't anything in particular that appealed to me. Finally I got something that night when I was watching a serial. Those were the days when 'Miley Jab Hum Tum' was pretty popular among teens and I was no different. While watching that I decided to set my password as the name of my favorite character Mayank's real name along with my last name, which at that time no one knew other than my family! Perfect combo. 

       I was smiling ear to ear at my accomplishment. I was so excited that I couldn't wait till next evening! So the time came and I finally created my account, logged on to yahoo messenger as well and had a little chat. Everything was fine. Of course I was on cloud nine. With that my course ended too and I couldn't go online for the next few days. I made sure I remembered the password. But the funniest thing happened when I went to cyber next week to access my dear account and realized that in the process of remembering password, I never really paid much attention to my mail ID! I perfectly remembered the password but what was the use when I didn't know the ID! I had come back dejected feeling like the world was about to end!

       Of course it didn't end and nor did I ever remember that ID again! But I do know the password even now :D and whenever I remember this incident, I smile sheepishly wondering how could I have been so naive!

image source: www.cl.cam.ac.uk

PS: This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.


Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)


36 comments:

  1. You did a great job of bringing back those memories we all went through in the early days of learning the computer. We have all been naive!

    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol :) yeah we all have been naive!

      Delete
  2. You can afford to forget the password but not the user id.Funny experience you had.For blogs give permissions to your other user ids so you can retrieve in case you forget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh no KP am not forgetting this id or password! But I have given permission to other id :-D

      Delete
  3. Haha!! First ever id and pwd are always fun to remember! Even i made my id when i was in 9th or 10th for the project purpose! Kitne achche bache the hum tab, only studies :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haan bhole bhale bacche :-D sab bholapan ab pata ni kahan kho gaya ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hahahahaha! Definitely didn't see that one coming!
    Umm... I made mine when I was in 4th class :-P and that too was a gift from my dad on my bday! Ofcourse it was no use for me and just for fun my dad used to send cartoon strips and I would show off by saying 'Look I got a mail!' :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe dat was a cute experience u had :) its so gud to recall those memories, no?

      Delete
  5. hahaha.. i made my email back in 2003 .. on every email service provider and now i dont remember any one of it .. :d nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every email service provider :O u were bound to forget them :D

      Delete
  6. That must be a heartbreak....lovely writing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i sure felt dejected then but i had forgot about it until i saw this prompt! Thank u forvisiting my blog :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, too funny! Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahah thaakx fr bringing bac those memories,,, I remember hw I had chosen my password,,,,,, :-D lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How saddy? Kabhi bola ni tumne..kya rakha tha ;-)

      Delete
  9. I do not exactly remember when I opened my email account.And I too struggled for zeroing an appropriate password.Your post brought back memories of the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The firsts are always memorable, arent they? Would love to read your story :)

      Delete
  10. Haha I dont even remember mine. But yeah omg mayank was so cute..so was samrat :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U watched dat? It was awesome right? Samrat was cute ok but i luvd mayank ♥

      Delete
  11. that brings back some memory.. even i cant remember my id but my first ever password. lol i am glad i'm not alone ;)
    interesting write up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am actually relieved :D I was so sure that i was an odd one out in this case!! But thank god I am not ;-)

      Delete
  12. Hahaha :)I don't even remember what my first password was, though I still remember the userID :) Nice memories, Swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how it usually works but I was a little 'special' ;-) forgetting id :D

      Delete
  13. I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed at first learning computers, figuring out passwords. My ex boss taught me a lot about computers and a thing about creating passwords. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its always overwhelming to learn new things isnt it?

      Delete
  14. Those were the memories...the way they were.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice one.... brought a smile on my face.... thank u..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad it made u smile :) keep visiting :)

      Delete
  16. Hee! You sure brought back some funny memories. Letting an instructor know your password? I would have been skeptical too. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. letting him know it was a big NO-NO!!

      Delete
  17. hee hee Another good post !

    ReplyDelete
  18. hehe :D keep ur passwords safe ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)