Friday 27 March 2015

Mangalore Memories #2

       I wrote yesterday in Mangalore Memories #1 about how I had ended up boarding the wrong bus. As promised, here is the rest of the story.

       I had boarded the bus at 8:30 am, hoping to reach by 1:30pm. But thanks to my high alertness negligence, now I would reach by 3:30 pm. I wanted to get down and change bus but that was not possible as I had already paid for the ticket (That too 75/- extra as it was a long route) So I sat looking out of the window, trying to think something different. Here is how my time went:

8:30 am

       The bus was going in a wrong route! Was this the right bus? What if I have boarded a wrong one? *Check the ticket* Destination is same! Then another thought stuck! What if these people are kidnapping me! I agree, I have a very creative mind to think like this :P Then a cross checking with mom confirmed what was the mistake.

8:45 am

       As the word of my blunder got out, I started getting calls. Mom, dad, uncle, my brother - they all started calling me. Mom even asked if I was sure I mentioned my destination correctly. I was getting irritated and also was feeling embarrassed.  This incident would be remembered every time I would travel somewhere. 

9:30 am

       Once the initial phone calls ended, I tried t push away the embarrassment and decided to enjoy the journey. Just 2 hours extra; no big deal! I plugged in my earphones and started listening to music. As the rock music played, I could feel my mood brightening slowly.


10:00 am

       Just when my mood was getting better, the bus stopped. There was a long line of vehicles in front of us. After enquiring, we got to know that a tree had fallen and thus the held up. It will be a few minutes before the bus could move again! There went my good mood!! To stop my mood from worsening again, I took out the novel I had brought and started reading it.

10:30 am

       The bus finally started moving. Yay! But within few minutes, we witnessed an accident scene. A bike had crashed with a jeep. Seeing the rider laying in the pool of blood, I felt nauseous! I couldn't read the book further. The murder mystery in it no longer held my interest.

11:30 am

       I had tried to sleep but couldn't. So I was listening to music again. A guy came and sat at the other end of the seat. The seat between us was empty and he had kept his bag there. After a few minutes, he moved his bag to the other end and sat beside me. He tried to make conversation but I refused to acknowledge him, pretending I didn't hear. But he wasn't giving up. So reluctantly I spoke a few words. But within a few minutes, situation had turned so that I had warned him through gritted teeth that if he tried any more tricks, I wouldn't mind hitting him! He left after that. Phew!

12:30 pm

       Something was tickling my left foot. I bent over and to my horror, saw it was a tiny baby cockroach!! One was on my foot and there were three more wandering around! It was a wonder I didn't scream or stand up on the seat. I just moved to another seat and this time, didn't opt the window seat. What had I got myself into!

1:00 pm

       Mom called to ask how was the journey. Now that she had calmed down, she was making fun of me. When I complained, she said "Get used to it. You are going to hear more once you reach Mangalore" That's when I realized the truth. My cousins were going to have fun at my expense.  I started cooking up excuses.
"I wanted to meet at friend in Chikmagaloor. So I took this route"
"I wanted to see which was the other route, you know general knowledge"
"I wanted to roam some more, before coming here"

       I spent the next one hour thinking about various excuses.

2:00 pm

       I was hungry! The bus had stopped for lunch few minutes ago and they had given 10 mins but I was afraid I couldn't make it back and thus had opted not to go. But now I was hungry. I just had one chocolate in my bag and I was opening it when the woman sitting in the front seat threw up. I lost my appetite.

2:30 pm

       The bus was moving in a ghat section. My excuse about taking this route to avoid the ghat section was void now. The driver was driving like a manic. He almost crashed into a lorry, twice! I clutched the rod tightly to avoid falling off and prayed to God, asking his help to  reach my destination alive and in one whole piece!

3:00 pm

       I had no clue where I was! There was no network either. I was feeling so bad. The conductor walked past me at that moment. He smirked every time he saw my face! I was so angry with him for not telling me the truth before. At that moment, the urge to punch his smirking face was the strongest!

3:30 pm

       My uncle had reached the bus stand and I still had no clue where I was. I was feeling entrapped. I wanted to plead them to let me go. I was ready to even crawl all the way to Mangalore, if that was what I should do to reach there. Calls were coming again, asking me where the hell I was; as if I had a clue!

4:00 pm

       Finally, we were close to Mangalore! The sign board said 10 kms. I felt like dancing. 

4:15 pm

       I ran to my uncle when the bus stopped. I had never felt so free in my life as I had felt when I had stepped out of that bus! "Are you hungry?" he asked. At that moment I could have ate anything he gave but all I said was "Just take me home first. I can't believe I was so stupid"

       I swear I am never going to board any bus from now on without checking twice. Yes, I was ridiculed once I reached home but behind that, I could see the concern for me. So I decided not to use the excuses and let them have their share of fun.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

14 comments:

  1. Aha! Some experiences you had during this journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having made the mistake,you did not rue much about it but started enjoying your journey.That is the right attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KP Sir. I figured I would have to do it as it was the best option at that moment :)

      Delete
  3. Judge me or whatever but I hate road travel!!! I prefer planes to wherever I am going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no planes from Shimoga to Mangalore :P In fact, there are no airports in Shimoga :P

      Delete
  4. I always double check the buses I board because somehow I have this phobia of getting into a bus and reaching an unknown destination. Thank God you reached safely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that phobia from now, after this journey! I am going to double, no triple check from now on! :D

      Delete
  5. finally you made it :D happens even to the best ... at least you got to write about it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! That was one thing which I was thinking all the time during the journey :D How to make it more interesting ;)

      Delete
  6. Finally you reached your destination safely. Had a few interesting episodes on the way. Happens in life. Enjoy the vacation with your cousins. Please take the right bus back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :D took the right bus back home and reached safely SG. Thanks for the concern ;)

      Delete
  7. Omg Swathi!! Thank God you reached safely! But you know adventures, yes i say adventures, like this prepare you for weirder journeys ahead!! It indeed have taught you lessons you otherwise wouldn't have learnt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of true. I wouldn't have had this crazy experience if not for my mistake. This is just the beginning and I have a long way to go (in life I mean, not making mistakes :P )

      Delete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)