Friday 13 March 2015

I Have Seen You But...

       Before starting, I want to say that everything written here is as real as it can get and though it is difficult, I will give my readers complete liberty to laugh... at my expense!!! Because, well, the situation demands it! So, here we go.

       Has it ever happened to you that you come across people who look familiar but you can't remember exactly who they are and how you know them? If yes, then welcome to the club. If not, well you definitely won't understand my pain. Because I belong to the first category. 


       It has happened with me so many times that I feel like I have seen the person somewhere but I cannot remember where exactly. I think hard, rack my brain to find the answer and solve the mystery but to no avail! Apart from distracting me and giving me a headache, the quest goes nowhere. The puzzle remains unsolved and the feeling is so frustrating! Imagine how it must be to live thinking your memory is getting weak day by day that you can't even recall a name!

       Still, it is all fine. Yes it is hard putting pressure on my brain cells to remember and fail. But that is not the worst part. The real problem starts when the person about whom you are trying to recall, identifies you and comes forward to have a little chat. All you can think of at that time is what if they find out you have no clue about who they are!

       It happened with me once that I was waiting for college bus. A girl in burkha came and stood by me. She was someone I was certain I knew but didn't know how! I had seen her few times in our bus already and each time our eyes met, she used to give me a smile. I used to do the same, all the while wondering who she might be. But that day, I was out of my stock of good luck. She came and stood by me and started a chat saying "Hi Swathi". Her voice indicated she was happy to talk. Now I had no way of escaping. Still, pretending like I was equally happy, I started talking too. We spoke about how college life is and about lecturers. I was beginning to relax thinking that my secret would be safe and my ignorance would go unnoticed. But it seldom happens that everything goes as planned. Soon one of my classmates came and stood by me and asked who it was referring to the girl I was talking to!

       Now I was in a fix. If she had asked me later, I would have told her I didn't remember her exactly but she is someone I knew. But now that she had asked in front of the girl, what was I supposed to say? I looked at the girl, who was smiling beside me, having no clue about the confusions going on in my mind! Internally cursing my classmate for putting me in such an awkward position, I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. I said "I know her from school" It turned out that I was right because she nodded and said "We travelled by same auto during primary" Okay. So half of the riddle was solved. I thanked my lucky stars for coming to my aid. But as it happens, my classmate wasn't the one to stand quiet. "Won't you introduce me to her?" she asked and winked.

       Suddenly the whole plot became clear to me! I had once shared it with my classmate that I had seen this girl somewhere and I don't remember who she is. And now the idiot was having fun at my expense. Why didn't I remember it sooner? I could have steered the conversation to a different topic and saved myself from the embarrassment. But glutton for punishment that I was, I had totally forgotten the incident just like I had forgot the girl's name. Without having much choice, I turned to her with a sheepish expression and said "Err, the thing is, I forgot your name" Her expression was worth watching. If you chat with someone for a long time and then tell them you don't remember their name, I am sure you will get to watch such an incredulous expression too! She kept looking at me to see if I was joking. Did she expect me to say "Ha, Come on! I was kidding"? So sad for her, because I wasn't going to say that! Instead I said "I know we were school friends but I forgot your name" I know I shouldn't have said it but my wicked classmate had put me in such a position where I had no chance of escaping. The girl on the other hand, when she saw I really meant what I said, turned away and was about to leave. "Ayesha wait. I am sorry" I said. She turned back and said "Idiot! I thought you really forgot my name! Such a drama queen you are" I let out a sigh. The bus came, saving me from further embarrassments.

       Now, let me tell you a secret. I really didn't know her name. The thing is, I read in a school where muslim students were very far and few. In school, the only names I knew were Ayesha and Fathima. So, I just tried my luck and it worked out! Now, I wouldn't try and imagine what might have happened if she wasn't Ayesha! God save me if I get struck in a situation like that ever!

       After that incident, whenever I see someone and feel I have seen them somewhere but don't remember where exactly, I maintain a good distance from them till I remember. Well, I just don't want to take risks anymore! I love myself very much to end up with a purple eye or something!

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

14 comments:

  1. Oh I can't remember the name of people in my team!! Sometimes I keep wondering what their name is !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe :D You know, it feels so good to know I am not alone ;)

      Delete
  2. loll lucky ayesha! I do that a lot of times toooo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. If you read the comments, it would be certain that I am not the only one who faces such situations!

      Delete
  4. hahhah!! Poor you!! Yes that happens sometimes! happened to me when someone called me to wish me happy birthday. I said thank you and chatted for a while but I couldn't place her name in my mind!! :P I still wonder who that was! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Talk about it :D Poor girl, remembered and wished you on ur birthday and you say you don't know still who it was!! Now I know why we are best friends ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, LOL! What an awkward situation that must have been. And what a naughty friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughty doesn't even fit the bill. Wicked is what I should call her ;) :D

      Delete
  6. That can be such an embarrassing situation and luckily you were able to escape, unharmed! ;) Believe it or not Swathi, I sometimes forget my best friend's name...I am introducing someone to them and my mind goes blank. It's silly and funny at the same time, sometimes AFTER the incident! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, AFTER is the keyword! Because at that tie, all you can think of Oh God! Oh God!! Oh God!!! Isn't it elly? I can understand that :D

      Delete
  7. You are definitely not alone Swathi. I think a lot of us have gone through this before. But your friend was a bit mean to put you in a situation like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to know I am not the odd one out Suzy ;) I know my friend was mean at that time. But we call it having fun at other's expense. Trust me, I will pay her back for that :D

      Delete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)