Tuesday 13 January 2015

Things That Define Me

       The one thing I find toughest is to write the 'About Me' section. Let it be writing an introduction in a social media site, or setting up my profile in a new site, or introducing myself in a group or writing the 'About Me' section of my blog; I always find it hard. I would be happy to say 'Hi! I am Swathi Shenoy' and end it with that but I can hardly do that. Introductions are meant to let people know more about you and such introductions would have been easier if there were only few things that define me; few things to let people know who I really am. But that is surely not the case. Let me tell you why!

      I am a writer. I pour my heart out through writing. When I fail to express my feelings out loud, writing comes to my rescue. When there are things I cannot share with anyone, they take the form of stories. People read it as fiction but many of them are inspired by the things happening around me. When something good or bad happens, I have to write about it, else I cannot sleep peacefully! I am an introvert and writing is my Knight in Shining Armour!

       With writing comes, the interest in reading. And I am not immune to this. I am an avid reader. My day isn't complete if I don't read at least a few pages of a novel. Reading helps me live a different life in a different world altogether. How can I not love it? Here is a sneak peak of my library:



       I am a singer. It was my mom's dream to be a singer but she couldn't achieve it (Oh, she has a very sweet voice). So, I was sent to music classes since the age of six and I have always enjoyed it immensely. Music is the magic that can soothe your mind like nothing else can. I count it as a blessing to have been trained in this field.

       I love dancing too. Though I always wanted to join a dance classes, I never got a chance to. That didn't stop me from learning. I am a self trained dancer and a good one at that. I never missed an opportunity to step on the stage.

       I am an artist. I love sketching and painting. People who are regular to this blog know that. What started as just a small hobby to pass time, soon turned into a passion and before I knew, I was in love with it. Capturing the beauty of the world through my pencils or paint brush is something that I love a lot. Though I am a little slow at it, the satisfaction I get when the art work is complete, makes it worthwhile.

 

       It's not just the sketching and painting, I love crafts, stitching and Quilling too. I always keep looking for something new to make; painting on tiles, pots, glass, making something from ice cream sticks... anything. Whenever I see something interesting at my friends' or relatives' home, I bug them till they tell me how to do it.


 

       I am a cook too. I love experimenting new things. Internet is my teacher and I always keep trying new things. Oh, I promise you they are all edible. My friends and family love them, so I trust my experiments are good.



       I love sports too. I learnt Swimming, Volleyball, Chess and Karate when I was in school. I used to find it difficult to make time for everything but that never stopped me. They say 'When you want something, there will be no excuses. You will always make time for something you love' and I can't agree more to this. It has always been like that for me.

       Oh, I am a student too, currently pursuing Engineering in Computer Science but that's not all. I am an enthusiastic student in the journey of life, always eager to learn new things. My varying interests and the things I keep learning are a result of this enthusiasm.

       Does it end here? Not at all!! There are many more things that define me - I am a dreamer, a friend, a daughter, a sister, an enthusiastic traveler, a perfectionist and much more. But how can I explain all this when someone asks my introduction in brief? I fumble and stammer to get the right words. To say all these makes me feel like I am showing off. But trust me, that is not the case. It is who I am. Take out even a single thing out of the list and the introduction is incomplete. 

       I still remember an incident from my interview. The hardest thing for me was preparing my resume. I had tried to keep the 'interests' and 'achievements' column as short as possible. Still, during the H.R. round, I was asked "How is that you do all these? How will you manage your time?" I just smiled and said "It is because I love what I do" There, that is the answer. I love each and every thing of these activities and they as a whole, define who I am. But it is difficult to make everyone understand. 

       So, whenever someone asks about me, I just smile and say "A girl with lots of dreams" Now, doesn't that  sounds simple enough for the first time? So, ladies and gentlemen, that's Swathi Shenoy for you.



PS: This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus.

Also linking this to the Write Tribe Pro Blogger Challenge.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

25 comments:

  1. We are so many things and more....You have put this so beautifully here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed difficult to give a brief intro of the self. And a person like you who has so many passions, it must be really difficult. I liked your one sentence introduction of yourself, Swathi.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinitha :) That one line intro is my favorite too ;)

      Delete
  3. You seem a multi-faceted and talented young lady.Such a versatility would not have come by without dedication and a passion to learn.
    An impressive profile !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so many things...but most of all amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Swati I'm so impressed. Truly - singing dancing painting writing... Lord girl is there anything you don't do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe :D the thing is, as soon as I find out the answer to that question, I will jump right into learning it ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow! So many things! Great introduction Swathi :) And yeah you cannot keep the intro short- I understand- personal experience ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reema :) Yeah, you woukd know exactly ;)

      Delete
  7. Great Post, following ur blog from today :)
    Hopefully u like mine enough to follow me back !

    www.ananyatales.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Man! Those books!!! Can I borrow a few of them :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure ;) But after you go through the lists of don'ts I that I prattle before handing over books ;) :D

      Delete
  9. Yep. I find it incredibly difficult to write or complete the about me section too. But you seem to have done a darn good job of it. Great intro

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your description. The second para resonates a lot with me. And your library. You make me greedy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rekha :) And about the library, I can just wish that it expands even more ;)

      Delete
  11. You are so full of talent and you are right about filling in that "About me" section. I realized that I need to get back to my forgotten hobbies of painting and crafts after reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vidya :) Its always a great fun to start over an old hobby again :) Hope you will do it too :)

      Delete
  12. may all your dreams come true :) I agree with everything , lucky to have friend like you :) coz you are the best when it comes to that :) you know that :) keep writing ;) maybe someday in future your name says everything and ders no need of introduction :) i look forward you will reach that and i'm sure you will :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!! Amen to your wishes :) Thank you so much sachz :)

      Delete
  13. MashaAllah how passionate and multi talented girl you are.only few people are blessed to have such an amazing talent
    I like that painting and your writing skill the most,I wish one day when u become the very famous writer I can easily get an autographed copy of ur book without waiting in a queue,Insha'Allah.....

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)