Tuesday 26 May 2015

Creativity and Inspiration - College Diary #4

      When I joined Engineering, I had hid safely behind a mask. Silent - that is how I had portrayed myself. I was happy inside the comfort zone and stepping out of it was out of question. I saw many of my friends join various activities, create a foothold and get recognition. But that never bothered me. Spotlight wasn't something I craved (I don't crave for it now either) I was happy sitting back and watching them grow. I spent the first 2 years of my Engineering life like this and then, it all changed.

       I was in the third year of Engineering. I would have continued with my sit-back-and-watch-them attitude if not for the COSMOS coordinator of that year. (COSMOS is the name of our branch fest) That year's coordinator is one of my favorite lecturers who inspire me a lot. Every Friday he used to come up with some or the other competitions. Yes, there were the common ones but that was not what caught my attention. There were many new things - 'What is your Name?' where we had to describe our name without saying it; 'Insituation' - where we were given a situation and an hour to prepare, after which we had to enact it in a group; 'Creme de la creme' where we had to take a theme and present all the talents of our class. The competitions were many but there was one thing that was the basis of all these activities - Creativity. 

(My Painting for 'What is your Name?' competition)

       Participating in these competitions, I underwent a huge change. I still detested spotlight, yet there was a burning desire in me to prove myself. I enjoyed participating in these creative events. I don't remember which event exactly led to this; probably it was 'What is your Name' and 'Creative Writing' but something in me changed. I shed the mask I so painstakingly had created for myself. I shed my inhibitions and fears which sometimes held me back and took one bold step. It was during that time this blog was created. And am I glad? I will be forever grateful for the encouragement I received from him (my lecturer) at that time. Knowingly or unknowingly, he had guided me towards my destiny. And even today, he continues to be a source of inspiration for me (Though probably, I will never find the courage to tell him this!)

       Since then, I have learnt one thing. Creativity requires you to step out of your comfort zone and probably try something new. You have to get rid of the fear of failure before trying new things. And the end result? It is totally worth it!



Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

11 comments:

  1. Of course it's worth it. When it gives us a chance to be who we are. Thanks to your teacher who had inspired you ..we got a wonderful blogger and writer :)
    Just one step and the journey starts...the journey of creativity ;)

    http://drsushreedash.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful painting you have made, do it more often. It is good to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful - both the painting and the fact that someone inspired you so much. Thank you for sharing, and hope you continue expressing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its only later do we realize how some people change us without trying too much. I am glad you shed your inhibitions....that is such a lovely painting! Sorry for not visiting your blog regularly. was away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your lecturer inspired you and you found this blog. Only through this blog we got to read you and your amazing stories. That painting is beautiful. Creativity takes courage and for some that courage is the push to step out of our comfort zone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That painting is beautiful and you are right! Creativity requires us to step out of our comfort zone..I am happy you did that..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you said is so true.. Creativity does require one to step out from the comfort zone.. and the painting that you made is beautiful.. and I am so happy you created this blog..
    Way to go Swathi..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you lots of creativity!!
    I have nominated you to 'Share Love' at Points To Ponder

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Swathi, I have nominated you for the 3 day quote challenge. Hope you accept it. Find details here:http://thevoidthoughts.com/2015/06/26/quote-challenge-day-3/

    ReplyDelete
  10. many times we have to come out of our comfort zone to prove ourselves. and am glad you shed your inhibitions.. nice reading your diary :)
    wish you all the best Swathi. and belated Happy Birthday to you :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so proud of you and happy that you participated in cosmos :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)