Wednesday 13 August 2014

Ramayana: The Game of Life - Rise of the Sun Prince - Book Review

Title: Ramayana: The Game of Life - 
          Rise of the Sun Prince

Author: Shubha Vilas
Publisher: Jaico Publishing House
ISBN: 978-81-8495-530-9
Number of Pages: 217
Price: 250 [INR]
Genre: Mythology

Blurb on the book: 

One of the World's great literary masterpieces, skillfully retold for modern audiences.

Epics like the Ramayana have been recounted infinite times. Is there a need for another chronicle in the presence of so many? How is this one different? And is it relevant to our ever-changing modern lives?

My Review:

There are some stories, which no matter how many times you have read, you find something new each time! Epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata are such stories. I have always been a fan of these. There have been numerous books on the epic Ramayana and many attempts have been made to re-narrate this epic over time. So what could be possibly different about this book? It was with this mindset that I picked up the book, expecting it to be just another story retold. But was I wrong?

The book is not a typical Ramayana story retold! The narration is crisp. As I started reading it, I was totally mesmerized by the story and the effort made by the author to illustrate even the minute details. There are so many details in this book that I wasn't aware of before. The book deals with the story from the time of Rama's birth till His marriage. But there is also a story in the beginning which narrates how this greatest epic of Ramayana came into being. How Rathnakar becomes Valmiki and how his angry curse turns into a beautiful verse of Ramayana.

As it is the story of Ramayana, it is natural to expect the hero of the book to be Rama. But instead of centering the story around Rama, the author has made the sage Vishwamitra as the hero of this book, which is the first of the six book series. Equal importance is given in describing each and every character in the story. The author has managed in providing a different perspective to the story, yet not spoiling the originality of the Ramayana.

The cover page is just awesome. It is attractive and prompts readers to pick it up instantly. The language used is simple yet compelling, which manages to engage the reader's interest throughout. What caught my attention the most are the footnotes that are present in almost every page of the book. The author has become successful in catching the reader's attention and interest by providing insights on various topics that otherwise will go unnoticed. It is said that Ramayana is not just a tale but a way of life. How the inherent wisdom from the tale can be imbibed in our life is effectively described in these footnotes.

Though there are so many quotes that are worth mentioning, the one that I loved the most is

  • Heroic acts may attract a common person, but acts of compassion and kindness attract the heart of great souls.

  • It is not the divine knowledge you possess that makes you divine but what you do with it that does.

Any series can be considered effective when the readers are enthusiastic and look forward for the next book. If you ask me, I say I am definitely looking forward for the second book in the series - Ramayana: The Game of Life - Shattered dreams. I suggest this book for all the readers who are interested in Mythology. Don't think 'Another Ramayana book?' Because when you read the book, you will find it worth it!

My Rating: 5/5 stars!

Thank you BlogAdda for sending me the signed copy for review.

PS: This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful review, Swathi. I've put up the review of the same book on my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story from your review and the cover is so colorful and inviting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Kathy! The cover was what caught my attention first :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds wonderful! What would you say is the appropriate age group for this book, Swathi? I was wondering if my 8-year-old would be able to relate to the book. She is a huge mythology fan. Even the books she borrows from the school library are only mythology.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! An 8-year-old borrows mythology books from library? Hehe it reminded me of my school days! Even I used to do the same :D Well I would say she will enjoy the story. But some of the descriptions might be little difficult for her!

      Delete
  4. This is the second review of this book that I read.
    Both gave it great stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, pick the book then ;) It really is good :)

      Delete
  5. I gave it 4 stars, it was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say it brilliant, it definitely will be :D

      Delete
  6. Love the way you write this review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please visit my blog , i would love to hear your suggestions.
    http://natashavanshika.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)