Friday 22 August 2014

Private India - Book Review

Title: Private India 
Authors: Ashwin Sanghi and 
               James Patterson
Publisher: Arrow Books
ISBN: 978-0-099-58639-5
Number of pages: 448
Price: 350 [INR]
Genre: Thriller




Blurb on the Book:

In Mumbai, seemingly unconnected people are dying, strangled in a chilling ritual and with strange objects carefully arranged with corpses.

For Santosh Wagh, head of Private India, the Mumbai branch of the world's finest investigation agency, it's a race against time to stop the killer striking again.

In a city of over thirteen million, he'd have his work cut out at the best of times, but this case has him battling Mumbai's biggest gang lord and a godman who isn't all he seems.

And then he discovers there may be an even greater danger facing Private India. Hidden in the shadows is someone who could destroy the whole organization - along with thousands of innocent Mumbai citizens...

My Review:

When I received this book, I was shocked to see the number of pages! Though I don't mind reading lengthy novels, I had my doubts whether I will be able to finish it off in seven days, owing to my busy schedule. But all I had to do was start reading! And as the line on the cover page says, 'The pages turn themselves' and within three days, I was done reading!

Private India is the Indian branch of the worldwide detective agency Private headed by Jack Morgan. Santosh Wagh is the chief of the Indian branch of Private, who is in a constant battle with his alcohol addiction and wanting to perform his duty well. The book starts with the murder of Dr. Kanya Jaiyen and right from here, the story picks up pace. The story is about a serial killer who is on a killing spree, murdering people, women in particular, who seemingly have nothing in common. The murders happen at such a fast rate, almost two per day, that it leaves the Santosh Wagh and his team bewildered. The only thing in common is all these women are strangled with a yellow scarf. The clues left by the murderer are weird stuffs like dolls, drums, egg shells which seem no where connected! And to add more spice (or horror) to the story, there is also a terrorist group which plans on planting bomb in Mumbai, the city where the entire story is based.

The plot is very good and it leaves you guessing who could be the culprit. And to be honest, I couldn't guess it. Of the two suspense, I could only guess one. The book has everything that you encounter in real life - media which is hungry for news, local gangster who rules the entire city, corrupt officers and people who back stab. Like most thriller novels, the story doesn't revolve just around the main character, which is good. It keeps you engaged right from the beginning till the end. You cannot simply just stop reading! Such is the story line.

But the ending disappointed me a lot! A story which started well, ended with too much drama! It was like a movie scene; things that cannot and do not happen in real life are depicted at the climax! I cannot say much without revealing the mystery. So I will just stop at saying that for a book so well written, the ending could have been better! Also there are few unnecessary explanations and flashbacks given, which could have been omitted to optimize the story.

Few of my favorite lines from the book:
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
  • A smile is a curve that sets everything right.
  • There are always second chances - both in metal and men.
So what is the verdict you would ask. Well though the ending could have been better, the rest of the plot is brilliant. The book definitely makes  a good one-time read! I would suggest it to mystery, crime and thriller fans!

My Rating: 3.5 stars!


Thank you BlogAdda for sending me the signed copy for review.

PS: This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

11 comments:

  1. I have been seeing many reviews across the net of this book. But looks too racy for me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions do differ ;) I enjoyed reading it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm yet t write a review and I keep postponing it.. I honestly didn't like the book :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why!!! Maybe your review will let me know that!

      Delete
  3. Aha! A good detective story is always up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your review of this book. Not the kind of book I'd read but interesting to hear about, especially with it being about India which intrigues a Canadian like me.

    http://cattitudeandgratitude.blogspot.ca/2014/08/im-enjoying-my-vacation-in-cape-breton.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! In case you ever read it, do share your review Cathy :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds fascinating and makes me wish I had more time to read more books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I used to think all the time before I decided to make time for something I love. Trust me Debbie, I am glad I did :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for Sharing information
    Get full information of detective agency in mumbai

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)