Monday 4 May 2015

Writing a Novella - A to Z Reflections

       When I did the theme reveal for this year's A to Z blogging challenge, I was sure of one thing - I wanted to write a serial story. I had always wanted to write a full length novel but when I decided to write a novella, I suddenly wasn't sure if I could churn out a novella of 26 chapters amidst my busy schedule. So I decided to write 4 serial stories in the course of A to Z challenge.

        I confess - I am never the one who writes posts well before the challenge starts. I am a student and I stand true to the rule of students - Always go for last minute preparations. That is what I did this time too. I didn't know what the novella was about, I didn't know what the next chapter would be. Sometimes the confusion was too much that I wanted to give up but the positive response and encouragement I got kept me going. And before I knew, I had finished the challenge, that too by writing a single novella with 26 chapters! I had even surprised myself.

       There are a few things I learnt during this challenge - never ever do last minute preparations. Yeah yeah I know I stick to the golden rule of students but still I have learnt the lesson. I was religiously writing and posting till 'T' post but then I had college fest to attend and I couldn't concentrate on blogging. It was the last fest of college life and I wanted to enjoy completely. As a result, my novella suffered. When I didn't post for 2 days, I got many messages asking if everything was okay. Trust me, those messages were what encouraged me to make time for writing posts even when I couldn't. A big thanks to all of you for showering me with so much love :)



       And as always, A to Z helps you discover many blogs. I have stalked a lot of blogs this time. I met many new people and some old bonds strengthened too. I loved reading the blogs of following people - Prasanna Rao, Sundari Venkatraman, Devika Fernando, Ruchi Singh, Shailaja V, Shalini, Shilpa Garg, Aathira, Shantala Nayak, Janaki, Vinay Leo, Soumya Prasad, Amrit Sinha, The Little Princess, Nibha Gupta, Suzy, Rajlakshmi, Cynthia Rodrigues, Geetika Gupta, Parul Kashyap, Vinodini Iyer, Vidya Subramanian, Vinitha Dileep, Sulekha Rawat, Eli Ert, Elli Stornebrink, Sheethal Susan, Sanch, Ina Tales, Corinne, Vidya Sury, Sushree Dash, Vishal. Sorry if I have left out any names. You know I love your blog ;)

       I had so much fun this April - writing and reading. Yes, I have missed out the reading and commenting from 'U' post and though I want to catch up, I don't know if I can. But I will promise to stay in touch from now on and stalk your blogs forever :P After all, I didn't make friends just for one month! So, lets keep in touch people. Hoping to see you all around. Till then, Happy Blogging.


PS: Many of you asked me if I have plans of publishing 'Leave Me Never'. I would love to do that but I have so much to edit before I can think of publishing. I just have one month of college life left. After that, I will give this novella a serious thought ;)

Linking this to 2015 A to Z Blogging Challenge Reflections.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

15 comments:

  1. Swathi! That was incredible and was so fun to read ur novella...ok few chapters and will read the rest:)
    But, it was bang on and superbly weaved. Time to put it in book form:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swathi! That was incredible and was so fun to read ur novella...ok few chapters and will read the rest:)
    But, it was bang on and superbly weaved. Time to put it in book form:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that is what you can write in the last minute, you must seriously consider writing fiction as a career option. You have a natural flair for it. Glad to have connected with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much fun reading your novella, Swathi. I was completely taken in the world of Kayra and Ayaan. I know you had a hectic time finishing the posts in the end, but finally we made it :) Yay to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Swathi. I read few posts, I will catch up and read all your novella soon. Good going :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible post you've written.. and the novella.. I'm still trying to digest that it was written last minute.. You can really go about with fiction.. Glad to have connected with you.. keep in touch..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your story and what an awesome job you did weaving it. Swathi - you are a champ girl!
    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Swathi! You did amazingly well. Although I couldn't catch up with all your posts, most of the ones I did were written beautifully.
    I do hope you get around to getting your novella published. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of us for completing this one! And yes, you should publish your novella. I'd stand in line to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on finishing the challenge so wonderfully, Swathi. You did an awesome job! And yeah, you should publish the novella. :) All the best

    ReplyDelete
  11. You wrote one hell of an engaging story! Loved the way you narrated the story of Kayra and Ayaan! Well done and yes, you must write more stories! Congratulations and well done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have found your blog through your reflection. Wow, what an ambitious theme you worked on. I don't know how you did it, but I like your idea of stepping back now for the edit that always is necessary. After all that work, don't give up on it. This was my 3rd year to participate and in my reflection I have written about what I think works and doesn't. Now I must think about the future of my blog and hope you will be writing again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVELY POST
    NICE BLOG DEAR
    i followed your blog, please follow back
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/ #MELODY JACOBS
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there.
    This was my second year and what I too learned from last year is preparation is key. For my theme of "Things around my home", I had to do a lot of prep work taking/editing my own photos so I actually started writing my posts way back in January! Thanks for sharing your reflections. Happy blogging! Just meandering through from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)