Wednesday 13 May 2015

A New Beginning - College Diary #2

       I stepped into the world of engineering without knowing what to expect. It was never my choice - at least the stream I had entered was not! I always wanted to go for Aerospace Engineering but my dad wouldn't listen. He wouldn't send me out of my hometown. Whatever it is, I had to read staying in Shimoga only. I had went on hunger strikes too to convince him but nothing worked. So I had settled on the next best thing - Basic Science. Chemistry was my favorite and I decided to read basic science and enter research field. It sounded exciting but again, it wasn't a 'good' career option according to dad. So in the end, I ended up taking 'Computer Science' in 'Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering'. I certainly had no idea about how I was going to cope up!

       First day of college is always special. There is a feeling which resembles to the one you get when you are going on an adventure. And then there is the fear. It is always a mixed feeling. I too had somewhat similar experience. While I was all set for the adventure, I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle it all on my own. My best friends were miles away, in different colleges. I wondered if I would fit in! Finally I decided there was no use in fretting; I had to get used to the new environment.

       A smile creeps up whenever I read the diary entry of the first day - I was scared and excited at the same time. I had lost my way while finding classroom and had entered the branch where only seniors were present. Thank God I realized it before anyone started ragging! After that, I was scared to leave class room and go to canteen. The seniors were all excited - waiting to have some fun and as for us, juniors, well we were comfortable inside the class. On that very first day, I made a new friend without realizing how close we will grow over time. She had been my classmate from 5 years. Still, we had never really talked much with each other but the new surrounding had brought us closer. 

       I had embarked on this journey without knowing it would change me forever - in a good way. And now if I look back, I am so glad that I listened to dad and took this path.


Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

10 comments:

  1. LOL! I remember my first week at college! Two of my friends and I were looking around for seniors to rag us, but in vain. Some of my male batch-mates from school, who ended up in the same college, actually managed to rag the second year students, pretending to be third years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scared and excited - I can well understand. And parents refusing to send kids very far from home - same happened to me too. Lovely post Swathi :) Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one and yes, you made me remember my first day of Engineering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes our parents really do know what is best for us. After all they do know us better than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES. change can lead to new beginnings - that was a fun read- loved to follow your first time in college:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I honestly can't remember my first day at engineering college. Oh wait, I do have some memories. After all, I did spot my beautiful wife then :D
    I know. Cliche...kya karein. Sometimes, love is so :)
    Good luck, Swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made me reminisce about my first day in college!! That fear of ragging and changes and everything u have describes was writ large on my face as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to college days.. They're fun.. and first is dreaded the most, yet turns out the most memorable one..Well done Swathi..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first day of college? I sat on the front seat, with nobody beside me. As years passed, my seat also shifted from first to being the last bencher in the final year! Hihi! Life was fun! Great post, Swathi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember snippets from the first day back in college. I was all nervous and scared too. But it all turned out perfect in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)