Facebook is a fun place when you have right kind of friends. The socializing, sharing, getting to know what is happening in each other's life, chatting; everything seems good. Sometimes, it is the best option to pass time. Everything looks good and happening. But what happens when your parents join Facebook? Well, that is when the real trouble begins!
It all started when mom started learning computer few months ago. In the beginning, she used to say "These computers are not for me. I can never learn it. Leave it, it's a waste of time" My brother and I used to have a difficult time convincing her to learn. To make learning fun, my brother taught her how to use Facebook, so that there will be something interesting and motivating. After all, the thought of getting to know what her friends and family is up to, ought to pique some interest.
Now, fast forward a few months.
Me: Mom, I want to use system.
Mom: Can't you see I am using it now? You go and read.
After a few minutes,
Mom: Swathi!! Didn't I tell you to read?
Me: Mom! I am reading!
Mom: Don't lie to me! If you are reading, then who is liking pictures on Facebook?
Oops!! Now I can't use Facebook as and when I want when reading. Were we wrong in teaching her? I wasn't sure.
Few more days and she knew how to use Facebook perfectly. And started the endless questions.
- Why are you online all the time?
- Who is that who liked you status?
- Why did he like your picture?
- Why does he comment on everything you post?
- Who is this friend of yours?
- Why are you tagged in this post?
- (When a friend posted a Thank you video on my timeline, which was so popular few months back) Why is he thanking you? Why video?
- (When she saw me liking a post of a blogger friend, which said she was selected for an anthology) Why don't you put status like this? If you don't tell anyone about your achievements, who will?
- (And the best/worst - when/if I put a new DP) Don't you read the posts? It's not good for girls to put pictures on Facebook. How many times should I tell you this?
When mom first started using Facebook, I thought it was so cool. But now? I feel like smacking my brother for teaching her! He told me few minutes ago that he is planning now to teach her how to use Whatsapp!! What? Why? How? I couldn't even think of a proper response for that! If my occasional Facebook usage can cause so much trouble, what will happen when she starts using Whatsapp? Well, I just know one thing for sure. I will never be able to fake sleep and chat with friends till late! God save me!
PS: I do love my mom. But sometimes, just sometimes, the questions are difficult to answer.
Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)