Tuesday 27 January 2015

Mom and Facebook!!

       Facebook is a fun place when you have right kind of friends. The socializing, sharing, getting to know what is happening in each other's life, chatting; everything seems good. Sometimes, it is the best option to pass time. Everything looks good and happening. But what happens when your parents join Facebook? Well, that is when the real trouble begins!



       It all started when mom started learning computer few months ago. In the beginning, she used to say "These computers are not for me. I can never learn it. Leave it, it's a waste of time" My brother and I used to have a difficult time convincing her to learn. To make learning fun, my brother taught her how to use Facebook, so that there will be something interesting and motivating. After all, the thought of getting to know what her friends and family is up to, ought to pique some interest.

       Now, fast forward a few months.

Me: Mom, I want to use system.
Mom: Can't you see I am using it now? You go and read.

       After a few minutes,

Mom: Swathi!! Didn't I tell you to read?
Me: Mom! I am reading!
Mom: Don't lie to me! If you are reading, then who is liking pictures on Facebook?

       Oops!! Now I can't use Facebook as and when I want when reading. Were we wrong in teaching her? I wasn't sure.

       Few more days and she knew how to use Facebook perfectly. And started the endless questions.
  • Why are you online all the time?
  • Who is that who liked you status?
  • Why did he like your picture?
  • Why does he comment on everything you post?
  • Who is this friend of yours?
  • Why are you tagged in this post?
  • (When a friend posted a Thank you video on my timeline, which was so popular few months back) Why is he thanking you? Why video?
  • (When she saw me liking a post of  a blogger friend, which said she was selected for an anthology) Why don't you put status like this? If you don't tell anyone about your achievements, who will?
  • (And the best/worst - when/if I put a new DP) Don't you read the posts? It's not good for girls to put pictures on Facebook. How many times should I tell you this?
       When mom first started using Facebook, I thought it was so cool. But now? I feel like smacking my brother for teaching her! He told me few minutes ago that he is planning now to teach her how to use Whatsapp!! What? Why? How? I couldn't even think of a proper response for that! If my occasional Facebook usage can cause so much trouble, what will happen when she starts using Whatsapp? Well, I just know one thing for sure. I will never be able to fake sleep and chat with friends till late! God save me!

PS: I do love my mom. But sometimes, just sometimes, the questions are difficult to answer.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha Swathi. I understand your predicament but I understand your mom too. I suggest you have two accounts - one for her and one for your friends. Lord my God if my kids read this I'm so jacked - even though they're young yet. But FB is a blessing for senior citizens with time to spare, and a wonderful way to keep them updated. My mom enjoys my kids' pictures and videos on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I had to smile at your post. Poor you! My mom and dad are on FB but don't post that much. Sometimes my mom posts on the wrong wall which can be kind of funny. They look at my stuff but don't monitor my use, thank goodness as I'm on there too much at times. I feel for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I think that would drive me crazy! Neither of my parents are on Facebook, and I must admit, your post makes me feel rather glad about that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect!! I can so relate to it!! Each and every word reminded me of some or the other incident!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha....but parents are so cute on facebook no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh God!!! So awkward! :-P
    Yeah, even I think u should make two separate accounts, you and your mom both will remain calm then :-P or one of you needs to deactivate :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! Tell me about it, It's my Dad!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha your post made me laugh. No wonder my daughter won't friend me on FB. Each time I ask her she says - you're my mom not my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. seriously! Our parents are catching up with us. No more getting :(
    My dad just joined whatsapp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all thank u swathi for giving me a chance to speak abt this topic. Uo bro has done a gr8 job of teaching uo mom using fb coz social networking sites aren't safe as they were. If one's parents learn how to use fb they 'll also learn to protect their children from cruel and mind freak folks. I consider parents as guardian angels. Perhaps, they no what's good and bad to decide when it comes to children. So I conclude, it's the best way to save ourselves having parents to guide on every single step we choose.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)