Saturday 17 January 2015

Is Compromise the only Solution?

       It was a few weeks before my interview. I was just a little nervous, for the obvious reasons. Cousins, who visited home used to give me tips to boost my confidence. It was one such occasion when one of my cousin had visited. After speaking to me about my plans and he left to speak with others. I was on my way out, when I overheard their conversation. They were in the adjacent room and were obviously discussing about me. I would have let it pass and went on my way, when I heard the person he was talking to mention my blog. I paused, wondering what it might be they were saying and strained to hear clearly. What I heard next made me wish I hadn't stopped.

       That person was telling my cousin how I have my hands full with so many things and as if that wasn't enough I waste all my time in useless activities like blogging instead of devoting my time to studies. Two words stood out for me - 'Waste time' and 'Useless'. How can someone call it useless. Sure, it wasn't that bad, was it? It felt like someone had punched me hard. My limbs seemed to forget the fact that they were capable of walking and I stood rooted to the spot, fighting tears. After what felt like an eternity, I slowly made way to my room, wishing to stay alone for sometime. Once I was alone in my room, I let the cool composure crumble and let the feelings take over.

       I was a bundle of emotions; I could hardly think straight. I took deep breathes to calm myself and tried to analyse the situation. Once I was calm enough to think, I tried to see reason in the whole conversation. Sure, it was an important phase in my life and carelessness would affect my future. But I was careful. I hadn't avoided my studies and devoted all my time to blogging. In fact, I had written considerably less at that time. But why the accusation? Was academics everything? Was there no place for passion? Did dreams mean nothing?

       It felt like deja vu. Years ago, I was made to choose. Initially I had resisted and tried to keep living my dream but soon the younger me had felt defeated. I had given up everything; all the hobbies I dearly loved and devoted all my time to studies, trying to play the good girl role. Though I was fine over time, I had missed a certain joy in life. Now, after all these years, I had picked up writing and my life was slowly getting back on track again. I was doing something I loved, something that made me happy. But why were they making me choose again? Was compromise the only solution?

       The answer came quickly - 'No!' The thought of giving up itself caused so much pain. So, that was not an option to consider. I was old enough now to take my own decisions. I knew the difference between good and bad. I knew how much it would hurt if one lets go of their dreams. I had done it once and paid the price. I wouldn't do the same mistake again! There was no studies 'or' blogging. There was studies 'and' there was blogging. I wouldn't choose one. I wouldn't compromise for anything this time. I wouldn't let words like 'Time Waste' and 'Useless' affect me anymore. I would follow my heart and work towards realizing my dreams; of this, I was positive.

PS: This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus.


Also linking this to the Write Tribe Pro Blogger Challenge.

Until the next post,
Keep Smiling :)

Love,
Swathi :)

27 comments:

  1. You know your priorities.Do what pleases you balancing the many interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your heart girl, there will always be people who are not happy with our decisions. Can't please them all :) Let the "ands" empower you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that is Vidya. Can't please them all! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. This blog, if anything, is awesome Swathi (and you know that :) ) Keep writing, reading, and following what you wish to. :) Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give ears to who say bloggin is useless , you are doing great :) keep writing :) All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swathy , you must ignore such remarks.You are still very young. You will come across many such 'advisers'. Follow your own mind. That is the only correct path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep blogging and keep writing. Hope you never have to compromise. Must be dreadful to overhear about yourself and that in negative words.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never give up, try again and again until win the race and same formula to everyone.

      Delete
    2. Yes Inderpreet. I wouldn't wish to overhear such things again! But, I will keep writing :) Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Yes Rajesh :) I will keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  7. It is a herculean task to fight yo keep your dreams. I am glad you found your "and"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold on to your dreams, Swathi! Nothing should ever be able to change that about your life, ever. All the very best to you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. People get jealous of others success so they say things to bog them down... No one can stand other's happyness n success!
    Just keep ur head high and do what ever u want to do with a proud feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Rupasi! It's always good to turn deaf ears to such comments and I will do just that :)

      Delete
  10. People can be so judgmental, but how you choose to spend your time is not their decision to make. It's your life, and your call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The famous time pass obsession people have , to interfere in others situations .. you are right the anser is NO to about compromise ..

    yes in life we have to make a lot of compromises but this surly is not one,

    I am sure you are intelligent enough to know what is right or wrong for you.. ("the right and wrong according to YOU") ..

    so you do what makes you happy and what is RIGHT for you.. my best wishes and Take care

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bikram :)
      Yes, there comes a time where compromise is necessary but some things are worth fighting for and passions are one such thing. Thanks for the wishes :)

      Delete
  12. Just listen to your own heart...don't go by anything anyone else says!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Naba, that is what I will do from now on :)

      Delete
  13. As long as you know your priorities, such small talks never matter. Well! It was a useless conversation they had behind your back. Kuch toh log kahenge, logon ka kaam hai kehna.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. I would like to hear from you :)